This part of the site presents historical materials and commentary on the following themes:
- Authors and Friends – Samuel Richardson, author, to Andrew Millar, on the death of the Millars’ son.
- Negotiating Publishing – Millar’s business dealings with the poet Allan Ramsay, and the philosopher-historian David Hume.
- Partners and Booksellers – Millar’s business dealings with bookselling associates Thomas Becket and Thomas Cadell.
- Politics of Printing – Millar’s early correspondence on the Malt Tax Riots with the minister and historian Robert Wodrow.
- Social Milieu – Millar’s exchange of news with the diplomat Andrew Mitchell.
Our thanks to the Bodleian Library for the use of the image in our banner: "William Green Jr. (fl. 1732–1752), Scene at an Oxford Book Auction, oil on canvas, 1747; Bodleian Library. Portrait LP.701, 1F.”